If you’re not the most confident baker then this cake is for you. It’s incredibly easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious. Olive oil based cakes are much lighter than butter based ones, which means after eating a slice (or two…) you won’t feel as if you have totally overindulged. Europeans are even known to eat theirs in the morning with a cup of coffee. Chef’s tip: olive oil cake improves with time so the longer you leave it to sit, the better it tastes.
- 2 large eggs
- 140g caster sugar
- 95g plain flour
- 115ml olive oil
- 80g yoghurt
- 45ml lemon juice
- 4g baking powder
- 1g bicarbonate of soda
- 2 x lemon zest
- 15ml lime/lemon/yuzu juice + zest of the fruit that you pick
- 10ml water
- 100g icing sugar
Whipped crème fraîche
- 85g crème fraîche
- 20g icing sugar
- For the cake, mix ALL of the wet ingredients together.
- Separately mix ALL of the dry ingredients together.
- Mix everything together to form a batter.
- Bake in a round tin or a 1lb loaf tin for 45mins-1hr (170degrees or 160degrees fan) until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- Allow to cool before glazing
- For the glaze, whisk all ingredients together until a thin glaze forms. Use immediately by pouring over the cake.
- Whip the crème fraîche with the icing sugar and spread/pipe on top.
- Finish with candied peel and a little more zest.